Potsdam, NY 13676
Professional Presentations since 2006
- Using wikis for online learning and collaborative projects. Conference on Instructional Technologies (CIT 2014), Ithaca, NY, May 29th, 2014.
- Using Wikipedia as a Source of Chemical Information, webinar for the ACS Chemical Information Division, June 27, 2013.
- Mining data from Wikipedia and elsewhere, Digital Humanities Roundtable, SUNY Potsdam LTEC, November 9, 2012. (Panel presentation with other faculty)
- Sharing educational resources through the LearnChemistry wiki. Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, State College, PA, August 1, 2012.
- Data-rich chemistry inside Wikipedia and other wikis, part of the Herman Skolnik Award Symposium at the 244th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Philadelophia, PA, August 21, 2012.
- Using wikis for teaching. Second Annual Technologies in Education, Albany, NY, May 17-18, 2012
- Wikis for chemical educators. Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, State College, PA, July 30, 2012. (Three hour workshop, with Prof. Robert Belford, U-AK).
- Validation of chemical data on Wikipedia. 5th Meeting on US Government Chemical Databases and Open Chemistry, Frederick, MD, August 25-26, 2011.
- Getting the Most Out of MediaWiki (three hour workshop), and Wiki-based Resources in Education (oral presentation), 21st Conference on Instruction & Technology, Oneonta, NY, May 24-27, 2011.
- Wikis in Education, First Annual Technologies in Education, Albany, NY, May 17, 2011.
- James B. Hendrickson: Fifty Years of Computers in Organic Chemistry. Organizer and moderator for a day-long symposium at the 235th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Anaheim, CA, to honor my PhD adviser:
Oral presentation given at the same conference, Wiki Resources for Chemical Education.
- Green chemistry in the high school laboratory and Developments in Chemistry Resources on Wikipedia. 234th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Boston, August 22-26, 2010.
- Creating offline versions of Wiki content (workshop), Wikipedia Offline (talk/workshop). Wikimania 2010, Gdansk, Poland, July 9-11, 2010.
- Green Chemistry in the High School Laboratory. Northeast Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Potsdam, NY, June 5, 2010.
- Teaching Digital Natives using Collaborative Learning Tools at the Associated Colleges Teaching Effectiveness Conference, Clarkson University, November 7, 2009.
Developing a Green Chemical Process, Green Engineering Workshop: "The Future is Green"; Clarkson University, October 27, 2009.
- Wikipedia 1.0: Offline releases of the English Wikipedia, and WikiProjects: Improving Wikipedia by organising and assessing articles. 5th Annual "Wikimania" conference, Buenos Aires, Argentina, August 26-28, 2009.
- How the Internet is Transforming Chemical Information, presentation as part of a panel discussion. Recent Developments at Wikipedia, the World's Encyclopedia, oral presentation. 16th Annual Conference on Instructional Technologies, SUNY Oswego, May 19-22, 2009.
- Green Chemistry: Principles and Practice, St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY, March 31, 2009.
- Sustainability in the High School Lab: Developing a Green Chemistry Lab Manual for High Schools. Oral presentation to St. Lawrence County (NY) chemistry teachers, Teacher Development Day, March 20, 2009. Also invited to speak to Franklin County teachers on the same topic (Oct 2009). Green Chemistry and Process Design, keynote presentation, Green Chemistry and Engineering: International Conference on Process Intensification and Nanotechnology, BHR Group, Albany, NY, Sep 15-18, 2008.
- Studies on a green method for Friedel-Crafts acylation by carboxylic acids, 236th American Chemical Society National Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, August 17-21, 2008.
- Symposium chair for the green chemistry sessions at the NERM 2008, Burlington, VT, June 29-July 2, 2008. I also gave an invited oral presentation on Chemistry on the Internet: A Revolution in Chemical Information.
- Internet & new media: Friend or foe for the science journalist? Panellist at the European Forum on Science Journalism, Barcelona, Spain, December 3, 2007.
- Wikipedia 1.0: Lancements hors lignes de Wikipedia en anglais. Oral presentation (in French) at the Premier Colloque Francophone Wikipedia, Paris, October 19, 2007.
- Using a Wiki: I never thought it would be so easy to do so much! (workshop) and Wikipedia and Wikis: The New World of Sharing Information by Collaboration (oral presentation). 16th Annual Conference on Instructional Technologies, SUNY Plattsburgh, May 29 - June 1, 2007.
- Wikis in chemistry and education, (with Thomas Rauchfuss (Chemistry Dept., University of Illinois). 233rd American Chemical Society National Meeting, Chicago, IL, March 25-29, 2007.
- What is a wiki, and how could I use a wiki at SUNY Potsdam? Learning & Teaching Excellence Center, SUNY Potsdam, October 20, 2006.
- Lanthanide triflate catalysts for acylation and ester transacylation, 2006 North East Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Binghamton, NY, October 5-7, 2006.
- Wikipedia 1.0: Offline releases of the English Wikipedia (oral presentation) and Validation on Wikipedia: How do I know this article is accurate? (discussion coordinator with Paul Kobasa, Editor-in-Chief, World Book). Both at Wikimania 2006, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, August 4-6, 2006.
- Wikis in Education, coordinator of a panel presentation. 15th Annual Conference on Instructional Technologies, SUNY Fredonia, May 30 - June 2, 2006.
- Oral Presentation: Wikipedia: Social revolution or information disaster?
Poster: Studies on a green process for Friedel-Crafts acylation using carboxylic acids (presented twice). 231st American Chemical Society National Meeting, Atlanta, GA, March 26-30, 2006.
Back to Martin Walker's home page